How can I wait mindfully on God?
Christian mindfulness is the simple awareness of God’s active involvement in our everyday lives, it enables us to become more aware of God’s presence in our lives.
Waiting on God is a significant aspect of the Christian journey, and it involves patience, trust, and active faith. Waiting on God is not a passive activity but involves actively seeking God, trusting in His timing, and aligning your heart with His will. While waiting may be challenging, it offers an opportunity for spiritual development and a deeper connection with God. But how does this work in practice?
- Practice Regular Prayer: Engage in consistent and earnest prayer. Share your thoughts, desires, and concerns with God regularly, maintaining an open and honest line of communication. Bible Verse to ponder: “Rejoice always, pray without ceasing, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 (ESV)
- Seek God’s Will:
- Align Your Desires with God’s Will: While waiting, seek to align your desires with God’s will. Pray for guidance and understanding about His plans for your life. Bible Verse to ponder: “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord; trust in him, and he will act.” – Psalm 37:4-5 (ESV)
- Study Scripture:
- Meditate on God’s Word: Spend time in the Bible, meditating on God’s promises and seeking wisdom from His teachings. Scripture provides guidance and comfort during times of waiting. Bible Verse to ponder: “Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path.” – Psalm 119:105 (ESV)
- Be Patient:
- Cultivate Patience: Waiting on God often requires patience. Understand that God’s timing may not align with your own, and trust that His timing is perfect. Cultivate patience and endurance in the process. Bible Verse to ponder: “But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.” – Romans 8:25 (ESV)
- Trust in God’s Character:
- Rely on God’s Faithfulness: Trust in the faithfulness and goodness of God. Remind yourself of His character and the ways He has been faithful in the past. This builds confidence in His ability to fulfil His promises. Bible Verse to ponder: “Know therefore that the Lord your God is God, the faithful God who keeps covenant and steadfast love with those who love him and keep his commandments, to a thousand generations.” – Deuteronomy 7:9 (ESV)
- Be Open to God’s Guidance:
- Remain Open to God’s Leading: While waiting, stay attentive to God’s guidance. Be open to unexpected directions or opportunities that align with His will. Bible Verse to ponder: “The steps of a man are established by the Lord when he delights in his way.” – Psalm 37:23 (ESV)
- Serve Others:
- Engage in Acts of Service: Use the waiting period as an opportunity to serve others. Engaging in acts of kindness and service can shift the focus from personal concerns to the needs of others. Bible Verse: “For you were called to freedom, brothers. Only do not use your freedom as an opportunity for the flesh, but through love serve one another.” – Galatians 5:13 (ESV)
- Maintain a Thankful Heart:
- Cultivate Gratitude: Foster a spirit of gratitude. Focus on the blessings you currently have, and express thanks to God for His provision and faithfulness. Bible Verse to ponder: “Give thanks in all circumstances; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus for you.” – 1 Thessalonians 5:18 (ESV)
- Community and Fellowship:
- Connect with Fellow Believers: Share your journey with trusted friends or members of your faith community. Seek encouragement and support from those who can offer spiritual guidance and pray with you. Bible Verse to ponder: “And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near.” – Hebrews 10:24-25 (ESV)
- Surrender and Let Go:
- Release Control: Surrender your desires and plans to God. Let go of the need to control every aspect of your life, trusting that God’s plans are greater than your own. Bible Verse to ponder: “Commit your work to the Lord, and your plans will be established.” – Proverbs 16:3 (ESV)
- Be Prepared:
- Prepare and be ready: If there are specific actions you can take while waiting, do so in faith. Take steps that align with your understanding of God’s will, trusting Him to guide your path. Bible Verse to ponder: “Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make straight your paths.” – Proverbs 3:5-6 (ESV)
- Focus on Spiritual Growth:
- Waiting Mindfully on God can result in Spiritual Growth: View the waiting period as an opportunity for personal and spiritual growth. Allow God to refine your character and deepen your relationship with Him. Bible Verse to ponder: “But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.” – 2 Peter 3:18 (ESV)
- Journal: Journaling can be a valuable practice while you are waiting on God. In your journal, you can express and process the huge variety (and sometimes conflicting) of emotions accompanying the waiting period. Writing enables you to explore your thoughts and feelings, in the presence of God. It becomes a conversation with God, a dialogue where fears can be acknowledged, gratitude can be expressed, and insights can be discussed. Journaling also serves as a record of the journey. As words flow onto the pages, the practice cultivates mindfulness, bringing attention to the present moment and fostering a deeper connection with God. Journaling can help you find purpose in the waiting process.
- List five things you are genuinely grateful for during this waiting period. Explore how expressing gratitude impacts your attitude and perspective as you navigate through the uncertainties.
- Write a letter to God expressing your deepest desires, fears, and plans. Delve into the emotions surrounding surrender, acknowledging any challenges or hesitations. Conclude with a prayer of surrender, trusting God’s wisdom.
- Recall a specific instance from your past when waiting led to unexpected blessings or personal growth. Describe the emotions, challenges, and ultimate outcomes. Reflect on how this experience informs your current practice of patience.
- God’s Timing vs. Your Timing: Identify a significant event in your life where your timeline differed from God’s timing. Explore the circumstances, emotions, and eventual outcomes. Reflect on the lessons learned and how this experience shapes your current understanding of divine timing
- Describe a specific moment during your waiting period that brought you joy or contentment. Explore the details of that moment and reflect on how focusing on the journey, rather than the destination, contributes to your overall well-being.
- Identify and articulate any uncertainties or fears you may have about the future. Delve into these feelings, allowing yourself to express them openly. Then, explore ways in which you can cultivate hope and trust in God’s plan despite the uncertainties.
- List three specific actions or steps you can take in faith while waiting. Describe how each action aligns with your trust in God and contributes to your overall spiritual growth. Monitor the progress and impact of these intentional acts of faith.
Discover the Art of “Savoir Vivre” in the Picturesque Southwest of France!
Are you ready to embark on a captivating journey through the idyllic landscapes of the Southwest of France? Join me as I share the enchanting tales of life in this picturesque region. Each month, I pour my heart into crafting the Savoir Vivre Vignettes newsletter, a window into my world and the soul-stirring experiences that unfold here. To receive this monthly dose of inspiration, simply subscribe to Savoir Vivre Vignettes by clicking the link below. As a subscriber, you’ll be the first to receive exclusive stories, insightful articles, and early-bird/last-minute special offers on upcoming online and onsite retreats. Subscribe to my Savoir Vivre Vignettes Newsletter – and start my eye-opening, mind-altering and entirely free Journal Yourself Stressfree e-retreat and download my Top 10 Tips to Making Your Next Retreat Your Best Ever e-guide.